Contact Us Today (989) 439-9600


Changing Your Child Custody Agreement: When and How?

Posted by Joseph J. Blata | Aug 30, 2023 | 0 Comments

In the state of Michigan, child custody agreements are designed with the child's best interests at heart. However, circumstances can change, and there might come a time when you believe a change to the existing custody agreement is warranted. Here's a brief overview of when you might consider changing a child custody agreement in Michigan and how to go about it.

1. When Can You Modify a Child Custody Agreement?

To alter a custody agreement in Michigan, there must be a significant change in circumstances or proper cause since the last custody order, and then you must demonstrate that a change would be in the child's best interests. Common reasons include:

  • Changes in living conditions: One parent may relocate, making the current arrangement challenging.
  • Parental concerns: Issues like substance abuse, domestic violence, or neglect might arise.
  • Child's preference: In Michigan, if a child is of an age and maturity to express a preference, the court might take it into account.
  • Parental alienation: If one parent is making efforts to estrange the child from the other parent.
  • Adjustments in the child's needs: As children grow, their needs regarding education, healthcare, or social activities might change.  However, while normal life changes may be enough to change parenting time, they are generally not enough to modify custody.

2. How to Modify a Child Custody Agreement in Michigan

  1. Consult an Attorney: Given the complexities involved, it's wise to speak with a Michigan family law attorney who can guide you through the nuances of the modification process.

  2. Mediation: If both parents agree that a change is needed, you might resolve the issue through mediation. A neutral third-party mediator can help navigate the discussion and come to an agreement.

  3. File a Motion: If you cannot come to an agreement through mediation, you'll need to file a motion to modify the custody order in the court that issued the original order.

  4. Present Evidence: If you've filed a motion, you'll need to provide evidence that demonstrates the change in circumstances or how the change benefits the child's best interests.

  5. Attend a Hearing: The court will schedule a hearing where both parties can present their case. The judge will then make a decision based on the evidence and testimonies provided.

3. What to Keep in Mind

  • Best Interests of the Child: Above all, Michigan courts prioritize the child's best interests. Be prepared to show how the proposed changes align with this.

  • Documentation is Key: Collect any relevant documents or records that support your case. This might include school reports, medical records, or witness statements.

  • Stay Open to Negotiation: It's in everyone's best interests, especially the child's, to find an amicable resolution. Even if you're pursuing a court hearing, be open to compromise and negotiation with the other parent.

In conclusion, altering a child custody agreement in Michigan is a serious endeavor that requires careful consideration, solid evidence, and often the expertise of legal professionals. While circumstances do change, always ensure that the child's welfare remains at the forefront of any decisions.

Remember, it's essential to consult with a qualified family law attorney who can provide guidance specific to your situation. If you're considering a change to your custody agreement or have any questions, our Michigan-based legal team is here to assist.

About the Author

Joseph J. Blata

Need Comprehensive Legal Experience on Your Side? Meet the Owner of Triton Legal, Joseph J. Blata Mr. Blata's legal experiences have taken him down three main pathways: Criminal Defense, Family Law, and Driver's License Appeals and Restoration. As a driver's license restoration attorney, Joseph...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Triton Legal is committed to answering your questions about Criminal Defense, Driver's License Restoration, and Family law issues in Michigan. We offer consultations and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.